The widow of Nathan Ganas on Tuesday responded to the news of insurance group Momentum agreeing to paying out his R2.4m life policy..
In a statement on Tuesday evening, Nathan’s widow Denise, who was prepared to fight to have Momentum pay out the claim, said she was excited by the news.
“I’m so excited and I’m so glad other people will also have their claims paid out. I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight.
“Momentum phoned me late today and told me the good news. I would like to thank all the South Africans for coming out in support, it has meant so much to me getting everyone’s support and encouragement,” said the mother.
Denise, who supports her two young children, said the settlement meant a lot to the Ganas family.
“It will also mean so much for our children, their father would always have wanted for them to be looked after and now that will happen,” shesaid.
Nathan was killed last year while defending his wife during a hijacking. Momentum has initially demanded the family pay back a R50 000 cash benefit that was paid out for his burial.
South Africans rallied behind the family as the insurer tried to control the backlash after the story was exposed on Saturday.
Momentum said on Tuesday night: “It is clear from market reaction over the last two days that under certain circumstances, current industry practice creates the impression that insurers are looking for reasons not to pay a claim. “Momentum is in the business of paying claims and we have therefore taken the criticism to heart. We have created a solution that will pay an amount equal to the death benefit (limited to a maximum of R3 million) in the case of violent crime, regardless of previous medical history. This will apply to all existing as well as future life cover clients,” said Momentum.
Independent On Saturday